Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Reflection...

I've been M.I.A. the past few days. Unfortunately, it was because I traveled to Jacksonville for my cousin Carly's funeral. As I mentioned before , she passed away last week after a courageous battle with a rare form of cancer. The past two days have certainly been a time of reflection. It was truly overwhelming to see the impact that she had on other's lives in her short 19 years.

It made me stop and think about what kind of impact I am making on the people that I come in contact with. I hope that when my day comes, I pray a long time from now, that people will look back on my life as fondly as everyone did on Carly's.

Carly was an amazing poet. I wanted to share one with all of you.

I am a Tree, written by Carly Anne Driscoll

i am a tree, a thin one,
of bark and very few leaves.
a tree who wriggles his toes into the dirt,
but can never settle.
will always fall over,
is to bare to not freeze in the elements.
all you leaves just fall over each other.
i don't need you, you flakey pieces you'll be gone soon,
crushed into the ground.

i'll just make more once I make my place in the earth.
my limbs will grow thicker, stronger.
i can keep myself upright.
maybe some of you imagine me hollow,
like a tree thats been hammered down by lightening.
but I am not.
i am full of life.
i am frothing over with green inside
and I will keep growing for and toward the shining ball above me.
the bright eye of the only man i need.
________________________________________________

I'm on a a mission to wriggle my own toes into the dirt. To find my own place here on Earth and really make a difference. Watch out world, I want to leave a legacy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That was an amazing poem and although she is no longer here with you or your family, she has certainly planted her roots and is leaving a legacy. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete