Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Way Back When-esday- Veterans Day Edition...

Veterans Day is tomorrow and I thought that this would be the perfect time to pay tribute to family members who have, or are currently serving, this great nation of ours so reverently. We celebrate Veterans Day November 11, honoring veterans of the U.S. armed forces and those killed in battle. Originally called Armistice Day, it began as a commemoration of the ending of World War I on November 11, 1918. After World War II, it was recognized as a day to pay tribute to all service members and in 1954, it was designated as Veterans Day. It is usually observed with parades, speeches, and flowers placed on military graves and memorials. I am paying my respects in a more modern form, a blog tribute.

The only Veteran that I don't have a picture of is my grandfather, Clay Cribbs. He served in the Navy for several years. I don't have any stories off the top of my head but writing this has certainly perked my interest. I am going to have to give him a call to learn more.

This is Rich's grandfather, William Halquist. He is pictured with his wife Joan, looking so handsome in his Army uniform as they prayed over their first Thanksgiving dinner as husband and wife. We are not certain but believe this picture was taken right before he was deployed to the Korean war.

This is my sister-in-law Amy's grandfather, Selwyn Carson. He served in the Army as a train engineer during WWII. It's interesting to look at the car and motorcycle pictured with him. We've certainly come a long way when you see below what Scott is working with now days.

This is my father, Roger Hill, who served in the Navy. It's always interesting to hear his stories from when they were in port. He sent this picture home on September 16, 1975. On the back he wrote a letter to his Mom and Dad saying, "I hope and pray that I can be just half the man Dad is, if so, then I'll never have to worry about a thing." I certainly think that he accomplished this task.

This is my uncle, Ron Schroeder. He was stationed at 29 Palms- Mohhbi Desert, California. He served in the Air Force as security police. He is actively still serving as a civilian police officer and has ever since he left the military.

This is Rich's brother, my brother-in-law, Scott Halquist. He is currently serving in the Army and is stationed at Fort Lewis in Washington. He's pictured below with what he calls his "ambulance." It's a scary thought, seeing as it looks like a tank to me. He has the great responsibility of taking care of wounded soldiers.

Last, but certainly not least, this is my little cousin Zack Schroeder. I guess that I shouldn't call him little since he is a grown man now but that's still hard for me to believe. He is currently serving in the Air Force and is stationed at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri. He works on the structural maintenance of B-2 and A-10 planes.

No one knows for certain what the future holds in store for this great nation but one things for sure, there are always soldiers moving up in the ranks. This is my adorable little nephew, Scott and Amy's son, Jack. He makes for quite the adorable little soldier doing his "PT."

A special thank you to all the Veterans who have served and those still serving to protect the liberties that we cherish as Americans. It's because of men and woman like you that we live in, "the land of the free and the home of the brave." God Bless!

Play along with Cheryl at Twinfatuation... Way Back When-esday is so much fun!

1 comment:

  1. Meagan, what a rich family history of sacrifice and service....we salute you all!

    Thank you so much for playing along with Way Back When-esday so poignantly!

    ReplyDelete