Friday, December 10, 2010

Flavorsome Friday- Ginger Snaps...

As I mentioned yesterday, my girlfriends and I had our first annual Christmas cookie swap last Saturday night. I decided that I would share with you my contribution to the swap, Gingersnaps! Do give them a try, they are scrumptious!

What You'll Need:
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter flavored shortening
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar for rolling

1. In an electric mixer, cream together the brown sugar, butter flavored shortening, molasses, and egg.

2. While the wet ingredients are creaming, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt.

Here's a cool little known fact. The sifter that I use was actually my Granny Hill's. I think about her every time I bake. Hopefully this is something that I can pass down to a daughter or granddaughter of my own.

3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in small batches until fully incorporated.

4. For uniform cookies, use a small ice cream scoop to form the dough into rounded teaspoonfuls. Roll the dough between your hands to make round dough balls. Roll the dough balls in granulated sugar until completely coated.

5. Place the dough balls on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 9-12 minutes at 375 degrees. I prefer my gingersnaps not to snap so I cook mine for only 9 minutes, 30 seconds. Sounds odd but that is the perfect cooking time in my oven. If you prefer yours a little more crunchy, allow the cookies to bake longer.

6. Remove from the cookie sheet and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack. These cookies are a bit spicy so they are perfect with a strong cup of coffee. Another great thing about these is that they store very well. They will stay good for several days in an airtight container, making them the perfect holiday cookie to have around the house for when guests drop by.

On a completely different note, I'm riding on an adrenaline high today because we got to see Cooper last night for the first time through a 4D sonogram. It was the most amazing experience of my life to date. He is simply precious and I can't help but share a picture with you! Here he is...

I just adore those chubby little cheeks and I cannot wait to kiss them. Ahhh, I am in love! With that being said, yall have a great weekend! I know that I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment