I made a sweet treat to take over to my friend Lynn last week. She and her husband, Tyler, just had their first baby. Abigail Lovely Orem arrived on July 31st at 3:48pm, weighing in at 7 pounds, 5 ounces, and measuring 20 inches long. She’s simply precious and althgouh she doesn’t know it yet, she’s Cooper’s future wife!
To lend a hand, I’ll be bringing the new parents a couple meals over the next few weeks but didn’t want to come empty handed when I swung by to meet baby Abigail for the first time. I threw together a batch of Cherry Cheese Bars to bring with me. I hadn’t made these in some time so I did a little taste testing myself!
What you’ll need:
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup butter, softened
1½ cups all-purpose flour, plus 2-4 tablespoons
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup cherry preserves
1. With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add one of the eggs and beat well.
3. Add 1½ cups of the flour and the salt. Blend well.
4. Reserve 1 cup of the mixture. With floured fingers, press the remaining mixture in the bottom of a greased, 13x9-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
5. Add the remaining 2-4 tablespoons of flour and the brown sugar to the reserved butter mixture. Mix until crumbly.
6. Combine the cream cheese and remaining egg. Beat until smooth.
7. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the partially baked crust. Carefully spoon and spread the cherry preserves over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
8. Return to the oven and bake an additional 35-40 minutes or until the edges are golden, bubbly, and brown.
9. Cool completely before cutting into bars. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Hope that you all have a great weekend! Tomorrow we’ll be attending the wedding of Ashleigh Orem and Brandon Chambers. We’re so excited for these two love birds! Check back next week for a peek of their big day!