Friday, August 19, 2011

Flavorsome Friday- Dirt Pudding...

On Monday, my sister-in-law Amy and here kiddos headed back to Washington state after spending the summer with us here in Florida. We had one last dinner get together on Sunday night and I wanted to make something extra special for my niece and nephews before they left. Kickin’ it old school, I brought out the Dirt Pudding recipe. I’m not re-inventing the wheel here. I remember eating this myself as a child so it’s been around forever.

Let me start by saying that I doubled this recipe because I thought I would need to with the crowd of eleven we were feeding. This was completely not necessary. It made way too much so I’m going to share the single recipe. Keep in mind that what you see in the pictures is not what you're actually going to get. This recipe will make half of that. Lesson learned.

What you’ll need:
2 (20 oz.) packages of Oreo cookies
½ stick butter
1 (8 oz.) cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
3 ½ cups milk
2 small French vanilla instant pudding boxes
1 (12 oz.) Cool Whip

Cream together the butter, cream cheese, and powder sugar. Set aside.

Make the French vanilla pudding by combining the pudding mix and milk.

Add the Cool Whip into the pudding and mix until combined.

Add back in the cream cheese mixture and mix until combined.

In a food processor, pulse the Oreos until they resemble “dirt.” If you don’t have a food processor, this can also be accomplished with a large Ziploc bag and a rolling pin. It may take a little longer but you’ll get your “dirt” all the same!

Using clear plastic cups, layer the two mixtures starting and ending with the “dirt.” I added a couple gummy worms to each cup for the extra cute factor.

I found that my cupcake storage container was perfect for transporting these. Be sure to store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.

All of the cousins had a different take on this unusual dessert. Jack was a little hesitant of the worms but eventually gave in. Noah would have liked to eat nothing but the worms. Grace dug right in and loved it while Josh and Cooper clearly didn’t get what the fuss was all about. All of their adorable individual personalities shining through!

The kiddos and adults alike enjoyed the special treat although it was far richer than I remember as a child. I guess that’s because my taste buds have matured a bit! With back to school right around the corner, I encourage you to make this special treat for the little mouths in your house!

Happy Weekend Y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment