Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Way Back When-esday- Cooper's 1st Holidays Edition...

In my efforts to catch up on the missed happenings during my baby, blog hiatus, this week’s, “Way Back When-esday,” is devoted to the Cooper's first holidays that have passed to date.

Valentine’s Day- February 14, 2011…
Cooper was a mere 10 days old and as new parents we were smitten, overwhelmed, overly emotional, and tired! We spent the evening at home cuddling on the couch. It’s exactly what we needed and was by far the most love I have felt in my entire life on Valentine’s Day. Mimi and Pops got him a little bear and his very first Valentine’s card. I attempted to read the card aloud to Cooper and Rich. We were going to video it to send to my parents but I got about a sentence into the card and started bawling. Like I said, smitten, overwhelmed, overly emotional, and tired! Eh- perhaps a little hormonal too! Here we are with our little Valentine on what was supposed to be his due date.

Easter- April 24, 2011…
As a new Mom, I’ll go to great lengths to get a cute picture. A friend of mine did pictures of her baby girl in her Easter basket. I attempted to do the same and Cooper was NOT having it (evidenced below). Cooper received his very first Easter basket, filled with the next stage pacifiers, shoes, clothes, and a swaddle blanket. That Easter Bunny must have known what we needed! He also met the Easter bunny which went perfectly. Mimi and Pops were clever and put carrots in the basket from them, such a cute idea. We didn’t do church on Easter morning this year but it’s something that I am looking forward to next year.

Mother’s Day- May 8, 2011…
This weekend was packed because we wanted to celebrate with both of our families, as well as together as our own little family. On Saturday morning, we had a delicious brunch with my family. I was able to spend some time with my Mom and Cooper’s Mimi. Saturday evening, we had a BBQ with Rich’s family. Rich was able to celebrate with his Mom and Cooper’s Grandma Tole. When Sunday rolled around, just the three of us traveled out to Celebration for an authentic Italian lunch at Antonio’s. Afterwards, we strolled around the town and sipped on Starbucks. Rich and Cooper surprised me with a beautiful necklace. Each time I put it on it reminds me of what joy being a mother has brought to my life. It was a fantastic day and as my very first Mother’s Day, it was one that I will never forget.

Father’s Day- June 19, 2011…
Just like Mother’s Day, we had multiple events so that all families were involved. On Saturday, Rich, Cooper, and I went to the Orlando Science Center for a fun-filled (and air conditioned) activity. Rich loves dinosaurs so we spent a lot of time walking around that exhibit and enjoyed watching Cooper take in all of the gigantic skeletons. I packed us a lunch and we picnicked in their cafeteria, as June in Florida is just too hot for an outside enjoyable picnic. On Sunday, I made him a special Father’s Day breakfast (waffles, one of his favorites) and gave him a few gifts. My favorite part was the “Dad” frame that Cooper modeled for. That evening we had my family over for dinner and celebrated with my Dad, Cooper’s Pops. Pops had the midis touch that night because Coop fell asleep right in his arms. The following Tuesday night we headed next door to Rich’s parent’s house to celebrate with his Dad, Cooper’s Papi. We chowed down on some yummy Italian food and enjoyed each other’s company. A special surprise was that Rich’s older brother, Scott, was able to come to town from Washington where he is stationed serving in the Army. He got to spend Father’s Day with his kiddos and Dad. It was a great treat!

Independence Day- July 4, 2011…
Lastly, we celebrated Cooper’s first Fourth of July. We had a lot of my family over for a BBQ and some sparkler fun. Fearing that Cooper would fall asleep before the fireworks, we went outside before dark for the sparklers. He was so intrigued by the brightness and it was neat to see him try to figure the whole thing out. I was right about Cooper. Aunt Weesa lulled him right to sleep. When my family left, Cooper woke up so we went next door to Rich’s parents for a few minutes. They had a bonfire and the cousins were running around having a good time. We weren’t able to stay long because at that point, Cooper was more than ready for bath time and bed. As I was feeding him his last bottle of the night, Rich and I watched the Macy’s fireworks show on TV. Rocking our little boy to sleep was better than any real life firework show anyways!

I think that I’m almost all caught up on the missed happenings here in the Halquist house. Next week, Coop’s first bath… all was well until we took him out of the tub!

Play along with Cheryl at Twinfatuation… It’s so much fun to reminisce!

1 comment:

  1. You have the makings of a cute Cooper-centric calendar! :) What a doll, and isn't amazing to see the growth?

    Thank you so much for playing along with Way Back When-esday...can hardly wait til next week's bath pics!

    ReplyDelete