Friday, September 23, 2011

Flavorsome Friday- Popcorn Brittle...

Last weekend was the Florida/Tennessee football game and that's always an event here in the Halquist house. A few years back Rich and I actually attended the game in, "The Swamp." It was miserably hot so this year we opted to have our own little party right in the comfort of our air-conditioned family room. My sister Alisa joined us. You know what the kickoff of hunting season does to a wife. She was orphaned all weekend but we certainly enjoyed her company!

For our little soiree, I made some Popcorn Brittle. I even picked out all the orange and blue M&M's to show our team spirit!. 

What you'll need:
1 bag of microwave popcorn
1 cup M&M's 
1 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 vanilla extract
1 cup lightly salted peanuts
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Pop the popcorn and remove any un-popped kernels. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper. I also sprayed the parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray for a littlle added security. Evenly sprinkle the M&M's over popcorn.  


Place the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Add the peanuts and cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, add the baking soda, and mix well. 


Immediately pour caramel mixture evenly over the popcorn mixture. Though you'll be tempted to, DO NOT STIR! You'll end up with one big, gooey disaster if you do. Consider yourself warned :)


Let stand 30 minutes or until caramel has cooled and hardened. Break into pieces and enjoy! Be sure to store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container, otherwise the caramel will adsorb the moisture and become chewy, thus defeating the purpose of brittle all together. 


As I've said before, I am a complete sucker for the whole salty/sweet combination. I hope that you also enjoy this scrumptious treat as much as I did! 

Happy weekend y'all... T-92 days until Christmas!!

2 comments:

  1. I've been waiting on this recipe all week. I intend to make a batch, sit down on Saturday afternoon, and eat it! If I explode, Meagan, it's all your fault! :) Have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm responding in the hopes that you did not explode! Hope that you had a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete