Friday, September 2, 2011

Flavorsome Friday- Peanut Butter Cookies...

Schools in our part of the world started a new school year last week. As you know, my Mom is a teacher so I wanted to do a little something to let the teachers and staff at her school know that they are appreciated, a sort of thank you for all their hard work.

I went to my stand by Peanut Butter Cookie recipe (Better Homes and Gardens). This recipe has very affordable ingredients, transports well, and is super simple, all three important points for this week’s baking since I had to make A LOT of cookies. 100 goodie bags to be exact. Phew- that was a long day of baking!

What you’ll need:
½ cup butter (one stick), softened
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
Additional granulated sugar for rolling
*This recipe will make approximately 3 dozen cookies.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and peanut butter.

Add the sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and beat until just combined.

Beat in the egg and vanilla until just combined.

Beat in the flour until just combined. Make sure to scrape down the sides of your mixer to ensure everything is completely combined.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. I use a small ice cream scoop to ensure that they are all the same size so that they bake evenly. Roll in the additional granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten by making crisscross marks with a fork. (Do you spy the most handsome baking assistant that ever lived?!) Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. I generally bake for 8 minutes because I prefer a soft, chewy cookie but because these had to be transported, I baked for the full 10 minutes so they were a bit more firm.

The theme this year at Reedy Creek Elementary is, “Wild about Learning!” Each teacher and staff member was given their own goodie bag with two cookies and a cute little tag. The tag read, “Hope your first week wasn’t too wild… Have a grrrrreat year!” Cooper, being the ever patient and laid back child, spent the morning bouncing away in the kitchen, keeping me company by shouting and giggling. Baking is so much more entertaining with him around!

We’re on the brink of the 3-day Labor Day Weekend, the unofficial end of Summer. I, for one, am totally okay with that. Bring on Fall already! Today is also my Dad’s birthday… Happy Birthday Pops, another year bites the dust! We love you so very much! We’ll be doing some celebrating this weekend with my Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Sheri, who are in town from Ohio. Perhaps next week’s, “Flavorsome Friday,” will be something tasty I bake up for the occasion. Key Lime Pie Cupcakes anyone? Hope that y’all have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming over and checking out my framing project. I just LOVE your recipes! THey all look sooo yummy. Mmm...

    ReplyDelete