Friday, September 9, 2011

Flavorsome Friday- Key Lime Cupcakes...

As I mentioned last week, we celebrated my Dad’s birthday on Monday with a Labor Day Cookout and birthday celebration combined. We had a great time spending the evening with family and it was especially nice to get to see my Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Sheri, who were in town from Ohio.

My Dad is not a chocolate fan (Gasp! I know right?!), so when I set out to find a new and fun recipe to try, these Key Lime Cupcakes caught my attention. I decided to merge two different recipes because I preferred this cupcake recipe and this meringue topping.

In all honesty, I was itching to use my baking blow torch. Problem solved!

What you’ll need for the cupcakes:
1 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup self-rising flour
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ¼ cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 ½ tablespoons key lime juice (I used bottled)
1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
¾ cup buttermilk
*note that I doubled this recipe for 24 cupcakes.

What you’ll need for the meringue:
4 large egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon key lime juice
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
*note that I doubled this recipe for 24 cupcakes.

Line standard muffin pan with paper liners. Whisk both flours together. Beat butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Add the lime zest and juice (batter may look curdled).

Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions. Spoon the batter into each liner a little more than ½ way full.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcake comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.

Moving onto the meringue...

Fill a small pot 2-inches deep with water. Set it over medium-high heat to bring to a simmer. Combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in the metal bowl of a stand mixer. Set the bowl over the simmering water and whisk continuously until the sugar dissolves and the egg whites are warm to the touch, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to cook the egg whites. Remove the bowl from the pot of water and set the bowl in the base of the stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Add the key lime juice and vanilla. Beat the egg whites at high speed until shiny and it holds stiff peaks when the whisk is lifted, about 5 minutes.

Fit a pastry bag with a star tip, fill with meringue topping, and pipe the meringue onto the cooled cupcakes. Be sure you have an official taste tester give their seal of approval (ha, ha!).

Now the real fun begins! Using a small kitchen torch, toast the tops of the meringue until lightly golden brown.

Present the cupcakes and sing Happy Birthday to the best Dad in the whole wide world!

I think that the next time I make these I’ll add a key lime pie filling to really give them the limey-zing. They weren’t quite tart enough for my liking and a gooey filling would take these to an all new level.

Happy weekend y’all!

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap. I need one of those torches!!!! They look beautiful! And delish!

    ReplyDelete