Friday, September 16, 2011

Flavorsome Friday- Key Lime Bars...

As of late, I’ve become obsessed with Pinterest. If you’ve not come across this yet, their website describes it as, “Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes. Best of all, you can browse pinboards created by other people. Browsing pinboards is a fun way to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests.”

Like I said, I am completely obsessed. I have pinboards that range from, “For the Holidays,” all the way to, “Cooper’s First Birthday.” Personally, I use it often because it’s also available as a free app on the iPhone. Though I use Pinterest for all sorts of things, by far I use it mostly to find new and exciting recipes to try. That, my friends, is how I came across this week’s Flavorsome Friday.

The original recipe calls for these to be made with lemon but in my efforts to not waste the key-lime juice that the hubby brought home for me last week, I made these tasty treats as Key-Lime Bars.

Be warned, these are super delicious and addicting. So addicting that it’s impossible to have just one. I'm talking, so delicious that I do believe these are one of the best things I have ever baked in my life. Yeah, they're that good.

What you’ll need:
20 Nilla Wafers
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ cup (½ stick) very cold butter
1 package (8oz.) cream cheese, room temperature (I opted for a low-fat variety but I don’t suggest using fat-free)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons grated lime peel (about 2 large limes)
¼ cup lime juice (the original recipe said to, “not even think about using bottled,” but I did and they tasted fan-freaking-tastic!
Powdered sugar for dusting

Using a food processor, crush the Nilla Wafers until they look like fine bread crumbs. If you don’t have a food processor, feel free to put them in a Ziploc bag and bang away. Add in the flour, brown sugar, and butter pulse until the mixture is combined. Again, the original recipe calls for you to cut the butter in as if you were making biscuits. I’ve found that a food processor can do the same thing and in much less time. The butter should still be about pea sized. This is going to give you a delicious, airy crust. Put the cookie mixture in a foil lined 8x8 baking dish. With your hands, press the crust into the dish in one even layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

While your crust is baking, mix together the cream cheese and sugar until combined. Add the eggs, 2 tablespoons of flour, and baking powder and mix until thoroughly combined. Add in the lime zest and key-lime juice and mix until just combined.

Your crust should be done par-baking at this point. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the partially baked crust and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until the center is set.

Allow the bars to cool completely (at least 2 hours but even better, overnight). I cut off the edges so they would all be uniformed and completely square. Cut the square into four and then each fourth into fourths. You’ll end up with 16 perfectly delicious squares.

We had Keith, Kelly, Alisa, and Ryan over for the game on Saturday night. I originally made these for that purpose but we ended up eating dinner so late (totally my fault because I didn’t want to mess with Cooper’s schedule) that they left without dessert. It wasn’t until Kelly and I were texting when she got home that I remembered dessert, sitting in the fridge downstairs. No worries though, they didn’t go to waste. I sent half next door to the in-laws and I’m not going to lie, Rich and I ate the rest. I should disclose that we ate them over the next several days. We’re not that glutinous!

Again, in my efforts to not waste, I used the limes I zested and made flavored ice cubes. I didn’t have an ice cube tray so I used one of Cooper’s baby food trays. With the first lime, I used the juice and squeezed it into the individual pods. With the other lime, I cut it into pieces and put one in each pod. I can pop one of these out, throw it in a glass of water, and voila! Flavored water. Genius, I know (sarcasm).

I know that this post has gotten longer than usual but I just have one last thing to say. We are officially in the double digits people! That’s right… 99 days until Christmas. Can I get a, “Whoop, whoop?!”

I hope that y'all have a splendid weekend. I know that here in the Halquist house, we most certainly will!

1 comment:

  1. Whoop Whoop for being in the double digits for Christmas! Anyways, those Key Lime Bars sound delicious! I took am OBSESSED with pinterest...I'm going to have to bake this weekend.

    BTW- did I mention I look foward to this post EVERY Friday?

    ReplyDelete