Friday, October 7, 2011

Flavorsome Friday- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins...

Fall is upon us and I can almost guarantee you that from now until the end of November, nearly every recipe that I share with you will be geared around pumpkin or apple. I can't contain myself once Fall arrives, as these are two of my favorite flavors. I squeeze every last second out of these seasonal flavors as I can. 

This week I gave another Pinterest recipe a try. It took a bit of forethought because of the cream cheese step but they were totally worth it. The original recipe said that they are supposed to be a Starbucks rip off. I've never actually had the Starbucks muffin but these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins were to die for. 

What you'll need:
For the filling... 
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar

For the muffins... 
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon 
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice (I didn't have any on hand so I just added a dash of ground ginger and all-spice)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil 

For the topping... 
1/2 cup sugar
5 tbsp. flour
1 1.2 tsp. ground cinnamon 
4 tbsp. cold butter, cut into pieces

To prep the filling, combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl and mix until well blended. Put the mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Reinforce with foil and place in the freezer for at least 2 hours (I did this the day before and left it overnight). 



To make the topping, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and flour in a small bowl. Add in the butter and cut into the dry ingredients as if you were making a pie crust. This mixture should remain coarse and crumbly. Store in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it. 



Sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda. In an electric mixer combine the eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree, and oil. Mix until well blended. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Be sure to not over mix at this point or you'll end up with tough muffins. 




Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. To assemble the muffins remove the cream cheese mixture from the freezer and slice into 24 equal pieces. *Note that I removed the mixture from the freezer before I was actually ready for it and if made this is much messier process. Take it out just before you're ready to slice it.* Fill each muffin well with a small amount of batter, just enough to cover the bottom. Place a slice of the cream cheese mixture into each muffin well. Divide the remaining batter among the muffin cups, place on top of the cream cheese to cover completely. Sprinkle a small amount of the topping mixture over each of the muffin wells. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. 



After baking, transfer the muffins to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely. While you'll be quite tempted, DON'T DO IT! The cream cheese inside is super hot! Consider yourself warned. 



As I said earlier, I adore pumpkin so these were right up my alley. Paired with a warm cup of coffee, I was in Heaven. I hope that you'll give these a try also. I promise you won't be disappointed! 

4 comments:

  1. By far one of my favorites. I have never had the Starbucks made muffin but I say leave the coffee to Starbucks and the muffins to you 

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say a way to a man's heart is through his stomach. That's why you love me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I NEED!!!! I'll be trying these asap!

    ReplyDelete